Friday, October 21, 2016

What are living books? - Thoughts from Charlotte Mason


In today's home school environment, anyone who has done the slightest bit of research knows that a Charlotte Mason education is an education using "living books." In fact, when some say they're following Charlotte Mason, this might be the only point they're attempting to follow her on (and I'm not over here trying to draw lines in the sand over who is qualified to call their education "Charlotte Mason").

We touched on this topic as well when studying Principle 13 (see my previous post). I absolutely love how she describes “living books.” I think I love it so much because I’ve watched many attempt to define “living books” and struggle. The internet is filled with lists of “living books.” But how can you tell if they are really living? Some seem to think they just have to be books which are narrative. Charlotte Mason is grasping at something deeper:

“I do not know how to describe the sort of books that children’s minds will consent to deal with than by saying that they must be literary in character…. Children cannot answer questions set on the wrong book.”

See? That's why everyone's struggling. At best, it's incredibly hard to define. Charlotte Mason didn't even know how!

I purchased a couple of books already which I thought would be just perfect. Their description fit every description of “living book” out there. I couldn’t borrow them from the library so I had to purchase them without reading them (thankfully for not too much). I read some lovely reviews and was really excited about how much we were going to love them. We were a few chapters into the first book when I pulled it out one day to read it. My daughter sighed and said, “Not that one.” (We unfortunately read a few chapters more before I let go.) The books had great potential, but in the end they just weren’t literary.

Now, of course if a child is sighing about reading a book, that doesn't automatically mean you should throw it out. It might be a difficult book that they need to grow into. Their growth might depend on sticking it out. But in this case, these books were not living. It’s hard to articulate what was wrong with the books. A lot of it relates to another quote of Charlotte Mason’s:

“Children recognize with incipient weariness the doctored tale as soon as it is begun to be told.”

These books were honestly just trying way too hard to make their points. They ceased to be authentic. It was wearying - that’s a good description. Ambleside Online uses Parables from Nature. The scope and purpose of Parables from Nature is actually quite similar to the books we were reading. But when I pull that book out, my daughter gets a sweet smile on her face and is excited to read it. The book deals with lessons on life, but I think Parables from Nature somehow respects us more as people capable of grappling with big thoughts. My 6 year old daughter is capable of much more than most modern books think she is.

Even in the PNEU schools, they sometimes struggled to find books which held up to the standard. They had examinations at the end of every 12-week term (as in all students in all the schools answered the same questions). They used these exams to evaluate their curriculum. If a vast number of students couldn't narrate from any of the books they had chosen, they knew those books needed to be replaced.

And this is why I love Ambleside Online. They’ve spent countless hours choosing only the best books. So I don’t have to waste our time and money figuring out which books are literary. Some wise women have gone before me. And it's been tested over and over again so if we're struggling, I can more easily determine if the book is the problem or we need to just keep working at it. All I can say is, “Thank you so very much.”

No comments:

Post a Comment