Monday, September 19, 2016

The Noblest of His Race - What does it mean to be truly brave?


Bravery.

Knights slaying dragons. Men slaying giants. Warriors lining up for battle.

In our world of affirmation and self-esteem building, we mostly talk about bravery as something we’re already capable of – not as a high goal to be achieved. I’ve often heard it said that courage is not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. I’m not doubting the truth of this expression, I’ve just started thinking about how we spend more time talking about the fear than we do the courage.

To be considered a coward was once more fearful to any virtuous man than facing certain death in the hands of a giant.

I keep thinking about how to teach my children to be brave – and to not be cowards.

I’m not even sure we would know how to appropriately label cowardly actions in our world, but if we did, I’m pretty sure we would just comfort with assurances that “even David was afraid of Goliath.” Because after all, if having courage involves also having fear than clearly that implies if you are fearful, you can at least identify with the courageous.

I’ve just started reading Westward Ho! by Charles Kingsley.  Written in 1855, I already know from the opening pages that Kingsley is primarily interested in offering pictures of heroes to be admired for their courage. It should have been written as “an epic,” he says, to preserve “the same great message which the songs of Troy… spoke to the hearts of all true Greeks of old.”

He writes of Sir Richard Grenvile, “ the noblest of his race” who has no patience for “any taint of cowardice or falsehood.” That’s a calling for which all young men should aspire – to be “the noblest of his race.”

But what does that look like? How do we become noble? 

Amyas wants to be brave. He’s speaking to Sir Richard Grenvile himself when he says, 
“I should like to be a brave adventurer, like Mr. Oxenham.” 
“God grant you become a braver man than he! For as I think, to be bold against the enemy is common to the brutes; but the prerogative of a man is to be bold against himself.” 
“How sir?” 
“To conquer our own fancies, Amyas, and our own lusts, and our ambition, in the sacred name of duty; this is to be truly brave, and truly strong; for he who cannot rule himself, how can he rule his crew or his fortunes?”

Do you feel like you were smacked in the gut?

I do. (And if you don’t, maybe you should read it again more slowly.)

To conquer my own fancies… and my own lusts… and my own ambition…  in the sacred name of duty.

Courage includes fear to be sure, but it’s so much more than that. This is a high calling. Lord, teach me to be truly brave and truly strong.




No comments:

Post a Comment