Friday, January 30, 2015

So you struggle with your prayer life too? (2015 Bible Reading Plan)

“And rising very early in the morning, while it was still dark, he departed and went out to a desolate place, and there he prayed.” Mark 1:35

This week, I was privileged to have 2 beautiful ladies over at my house on the same day - one in the morning - one in the afternoon. Ironically, both conversations ended up centered around this topic.
"No one, it seems prays as frequently or as fervently as they would like." -Matthew Westerholm

Or maybe it's not so ironic since it's what's been on my mind. I've been inspired to start a new plan in 2015. This is certainly not to say that I've found the secret for fixing your prayer life or that all my struggles have suddenly disappeared. But I do believe that having a plan is an important step.

"We do not drift into spiritual life; we do not drift into disciplined prayer. We will not grow in prayer unless we plan to pray. That means we must self-consciously set aside time to do nothing but pray. What we actually do reflects our highest priorities. That means we can proclaim our commitment to prayer until the cows come home, but unless we actually pray, our actions disown our words." -D.A. Carson

Let me start at the beginning...

Last year, I read through the Bible chronologically with my church. Having the accountability of others is priceless.

Also last year, one of my children officially ceased to take a quiet/nap time every afternoon. Of course, this was when I was accustomed to having my quiet times. It was hard to change my quiet time routine.




While I was thoroughly engaged in the Bible reading, I continued to struggle with maintaining a consistent prayer life.


"He got down on his knees three times a day and prayed and gave thanks before his God, as he had done previously." -Daniel 6:10

We have some really good friends who are currently serving as missionaries in a Muslim area. They came home last summer and shared a lot about their experiences. One of the things that stuck with me was how they have a call to prayer 5 times a day. Our missionary friends shared that they had benefited from this reminder to themselves to pray at those times as well. Wherever they are, they stop and pray.


"Evening and morning and at noon I utter my complaint and moan, and he hears my voice." -Psalm 55:17

One of my struggles with taking the time to pray is in trying to read a large section of the Bible and then have a large time devoted to prayer all in one sitting. It feels like I either get one or the other.

So I was inspired to create my own Bible reading plan. I started it at the beginning of this year and so far I've been blessed immensely.



I get up in the morning before everyone else (okay, so this part hasn't always worked perfectly, but I'd say I've done pretty well overall) and read my New Testament reading.

I pick a verse from the reading to apply to my life. And then I word it as a prayer in my journal. And then I pray. This is my largest time devoted to prayer.

In the afternoon, after I put the boys down for a nap, have a tea party with my daughter and get her going on quiet activities, I do my Old Testament reading.


I pick a verse from the reading to apply to my life. And then I word it as a prayer in my journal. And then I pray. This is a shorter time of prayer. I've been using Valley of Vision for this one.

In the evening after putting the kids to bed, I read Old Testament Poetry.

I pick a verse from the reading to apply to my life. And then I word it as a prayer in my journal. And then I pray.

Now, of course there are days when I do the afternoon reading in the evening, miss the evening reading and do 2 evening readings the next night, etc. but the beauty for me is that because each reading is shorter, it's less intimidating to fall behind here and there.

And the benefit of coming back to the Word and prayer all day long is really worth it. 


I highly recommend finding a Bible reading plan that works for you. It's worth it. This one may or may not help, but I just thought I'd share it just in case. I made it in December. My husband is doing it with me, but I think he generally reads all 3 readings in the same sitting. If you do decide to use it, give me your feedback. I originally wanted to test it myself before sharing it, but my husband has already been sharing it...

One additional resource I've been using is an app called PrayerMate. Tim Challies blogged about it in September. And I've found it incredibly helpful. It's basically an organization system for your prayers. It's extremely versatile and useful.

Brief Explanation of the Bible Reading Plan:
New Testament: I alternated reading a Gospel with reading chronologically through Acts and the Epistles. Revelation is in May simply because I didn't want to read it in December again and May seemed like a good time of the year for studying it (at least for me). It's an average of 22 verses a day.

Old Testament: Average of 50 verses a day. I followed the ESV Chronological Reading Plan order with 2 exceptions
  1. Job-Song of Solomon are taken out
  2. 1 & 2 Samuel and 1 Chronicles are read one after the other to avoid as much repetition of the same story twice in a row.
Poetry: I interspersed the books of the Psalms with the other books. I kept Job at a chapter a day because I ddin't want to break up each argument too much. After that, it averages 12 verses a day.

To hear and not to meditate is unfruitful... It is rashness to pray and not to meditate. What we take in by the word we digest by meditation and let out by prayer. - Thomas Manton

My 2015 Bible Reading Plan 

No comments:

Post a Comment